WW2: Berlin & The Cold War
Berlin, Sachsenhausen & Potsdam
Experience fascinating Berlin - headquartered by Nazis, bombed to smithereens & divided in two. Visit key WW2 sites, walk along remnants of the Berlin Wall and discover life behind the Iron Curtain. This truly remarkable tour also takes in the evocative Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial, the famous Bridge of Spies & beautiful Potsdam where the allies met to lay the groundwork for Germany’s post-war fate.
- Return flights from Dublin to Berlin including taxes & charges
- Tour manager, professional historian guide & executive coach transfers
- 3 nights hotel accommodation in Berlin with breakfast
- Guided tour of Berlin covering key WW2 and Soviet sites including Hitler's Bunker, the SS and Gestapo Topography of Terror, Checkpoint Charlie and the Berlin Wall Documentation Centre
- Visit to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial including guided tour
- Visit to the notorious STASI Headquarters
- Visit to the beautiful city of Potsdam, stopping at the famous Bridge of Spies en route
- Free time for sightseeing and shopping of your own choice.
Fly from Dublin to Berlin. Meet your Tour Manager on arrival and transfer by executive coach to your hotel for check in. This afternoon enjoy a walking tour of Berlin covering key WW2 and Soviet places including the Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, the site of Hitler's Bunker, Plotzensee Memorial Complex, Stauffenberg Museum and execution place at the Bendlerblock, the site of Gestapo Headquarters, Checkpoint Charlie, Alexanderplatz, and the remains of the Berlin Wall. Continue to your hotel for check-in and overnight.
Breakfast at your hotel. Visit the evocative Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial and Museum in morning. Sachsenhausen was one of the main concentration camps in Nazi Germany, purposely built in 1936 by the SS. It was the second major camp to be built after Dachau and was intended to set a standard for other concentration camps, both in its design and the treatment of prisoners. In the afternoon we continue onto beautiful Potsdam via Glienick Bridge, known as the Bridge of Spies during the height of the Cold War. Overnight at your hotel.
Breakfast at your hotel. Today visit the former STASI Headquarters. Learn first-hand of the harsh regime those in East Germany lived under and discover the massive surveillance apparatus of the GDR's secret police. Walking along the bare, red-carpeted corridors and looking at the busts of Lenin and Felix Dzerzhinsky, models for both the KGB and Stasi, it all seems part of a distant past, not an era which ended only in 1990. You will also visit the Wall Memorial Bernauer Straße, where you learn all about the former death strip which separated Berlin and we have a close look at the Sovjet War Memorial in Treptower Park. Overnight at your hotel.
Breakfast at your hotel and check-out. Today enjoy free time in Berlin for sightseeing, shopping and exploring at leisure before your evening flight to Dublin.
- Price based on 2 sharing including all airport taxes & charges
- Single room supplement €110pp. If you are travelling alone and are willing to share a twin room with another group member of the same sex, we will do our best to accommodate this request although it cannot be guaranteed
- Non refundable / non transferable deposit of €250pp required at time of booking
- Balance due 10 weeks before departure (2% charge on balance payments made by credit card)
- Price includes 1 standard piece of hand luggage. Checked-in luggage is available to purchase prior to travel - prices may vary
- Optional insurance available from €19pp (terms & conditions apply)
- City taxes may apply, payable locally at your hotel
- Flights, taxes, prices & itinerary subject to change
- Booking terms & conditions apply