WW2: Anzio and Montecassino
The Allied Advance to Rome
In January 1944, Allied forces landed on the beaches of Anzio, 56 kilometres south of Rome, in the assault that was to liberate Rome. Visit key sites of the Allies’ Italian Campaign & learn about the Battle of Montecassino and the Battle of Anzio which saw some of the fiercest, most prolonged fighting in Europe during WW2 Approximately 1,500 soldiers serving in Irish regiments of the British Army were buried in Italian cemeteries.
- Return flights from Dublin to Rome including airport taxes and charges
- Professional historian guides and executive coach transfers
- 3 nights 4* accommodation with breakfast
- Half day guided tour of Anzio including the Beach Head War Cemetery, the Anzio War Cemetery, the Beach Head Museum and Anzio Harbour
- Full day guided tour to Montecassino and Minturno including Minturno War Cemetery, Cassino Memorial, Cassino War Cemetery and Cassino Abbey
- Full day guided tour to Orvieto & Bolsena with visits to Orvieto War Cemetery and Bolsena War Cemetery
- Visit to the Rome War Cemetery and free time in Rome
Fly from Dublin to Rome. Meet your professional guide on arrival and transfer to your hotel in Anzio for check-in. In the afternoon enjoy a half day guided tour of Anzio. Although the town took a battering during the war much of it has been rebuilt since and has a busy and colourful harbour with a view to the east of the tall buildings of Nettuno and sand dunes beyond. You will visit the Beach Head War Cemetery, the Anzio War Cemetery and also visit the Beach Head Museum commemorating the soldiers of all nationalities who took part in the landings and ensuing battles in Anzio. Overnight at your hotel.
Breakfast at your hotel. Depart by coach for a full day tour of Montecassino and Minturno. Enjoy visits to Minturno War Cemetery, Cassino Memorial and to Cassino War Cemetery. Also enjoy a stop at Cassino Abbey. During the Battle of Monte Cassino the Abbey a key stronghold of the Gustav Line, the German defensive line designed to hold the Allied troops from advancing any further into Italy. Overnight at your hotel.
Breakfast at your hotel. Depart by coach for a full day tour to Orvieto & Bolsena. Orvieto is a stunning town with the cobbled lanes, medieval piazzas and churches. Today you will also visit Orvieto War Cemetery and Bolsena War Cemetery. Overnight at your hotel.
Breakfast at your hotel and check-out. Visit the Rome War Cemetery and enjoy some free time in the incredible city of Rome before your return flight to Dublin.
- Price based on 2 sharing including all airport taxes & charges
- Single room supplement €99pp. If you are travelling alone and are willing to share a twin room with another group member of the same sex, we will do our best to accommodate this request although it cannot be guaranteed
- Non refundable / non transferable deposit of €250pp required at time of booking
- Balance due 10 weeks before departure
- Price includes 1 standard piece of hand luggage. Checked-in luggage is available to purchase prior to travel - prices may vary
- Optional insurance available from €19pp (terms & conditions apply)
- City taxes may apply, payable locally at your hotel
- Flights, taxes, prices & itinerary subject to change
- Booking terms & conditions apply