Secrets of Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sigiriya, Kandy & Yala
Join us on this incredible 13-day holiday to Sri Lanka and discover the unique kaleidoscope of sounds, smells, colour and culture of this amazing country. Journey through flourishing Ceylon tea plantations, explore the timeless ruins & ancient cities left abandoned amidst the magnificent jungle, experience breath-taking scenery & relax on pristine beaches by crystal blue seas.
- Return flights from Dublin to Colombo via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines including taxes and charges
- Professional tour manager and executive coach transfers
- 10 nights hotel accommodation in Sri Lanka with breakfast and evening meal each day
- Guided sightseeing tour of Colombo
- Visit to the magnificent Rangiriya Dambulla Cave Temple
- Climb to the top of the ancient Sigirya Rock Fortress
- Explore the medieval capital of Polommaruwa
- Travel to Kandy to visit the Temple of the Tooth and enjoy a local cultural show
- Enjoy a spectacular train journey from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya (subject to availability)
- Excursion to visit a tea plantation and the beautiful town of Ella
- Enjoy a morning safari in Yala National Park Guided tour of Galle
- Free time for relaxing, sightseeing and shopping of your own choice
Depart Dublin for Istanbul and onwards to Colombo.
On arrival in Colombo you will meet your professional tour manager and transfer to your hotel for check-in. Today you will enjoy a fully guided tour of fascinating Colombo, Sri Lanka’s largest city. Past traders and settlers - the Arabs, Portuguese, Dutch and British - have left in their wake churches, monuments, religions, cultures and languages making Colombo a happy blend of East & West with a charm of its own. Evening meal & overnight in Colombo.
After breakfast check-out and depart for Sigiriya. En route visit the Rangiriya Dambulla Cave Temple, located in the North Central Province. This UNESCO World Heritage Site dates back to the first century BC and is an amazing complex of caves. See magnificent carved images within the living rock, over 150 images of the Buddha of which the largest is a colossal figure spanning 15 meters & cave inscriptions from the second century BC. Also on the walls are many paintings most of which belong to the Kandy period (early 19th century). The temple is a perfect location to view evolution of ancient Sri Lankan art! Continue to your hotel in Sigiriya for check-in. Afternoon at leisure. Evening meal and overnight at hotel.
After breakfast, you will take a journey to climb the spectacular Sigiriya Rock Fortress, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Sri Lanka’s major attractions. At its base see the Water Gardens, the world-renowned frescoes of beautiful maidens & the Mirror Wall with ancient graffiti. Then climb the old spiral stairway rising 200m out of the beautiful jungle, climb past the huge paws of an ancient crouching lion to the remains of the royal citadel at the summit. The 1.6 hectares at the summit was completely covered by buildings during the period of Sigiriya’s glory (477-495 A.D). Afternoon at leisure. Evening meal and overnight at hotel.
Breakfast at your hotel and set off to explore the medieval capital of Polonnaruwa. This UNESCO World Heritage Site, rose to fame as the capital of Sri Lanka in the 10th to 12th century AD. Its monuments are well preserved and give clear evidence of the glory of Sri Lanka's past. Highlights include the Royal Palace complex, the Quadrangle with its concentration of ancient heritage, the spectacular Gal Vihare complex of four massive images of the Buddha plus intricate statues of Hindu Gods & fascinating Buddhist temples. Return to your hotel for afternoon at leisure. Dinner & overnight in Sigiriya.
After breakfast, depart Sigirya for the Last Kingdom of Sri Lanka – Kandy. En route you will have a stop to discover the Matale Spice Gardens. Enjoy the aroma of the spices as you explore the treasure garden & dabble in the homeopathic remedies of the East! Continue to the city of Kandy. This exotic city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and retains an aura of grandeur that time has not affected. Encircled by hills, with a tranquil lake in its centre, it is the site of the renowned temple that enshrines the Tooth Relic of the Buddha. Visit the famous Temple of the Tooth - the Crown Jewel of your experience in Kandy & the most sacred temple in the whole of Sri Lanka.
This evening you will enjoy a cultural show displaying of the various kinds of arts practiced in the island of Sri Lanka. Experience the acrobatics of the Kandyan Dancers, the grace and elegance of the Hill dances and the forceful energy of the Southern Dancers. Evening meal and overnight in Kandy.
Breakfast at your hotel & check-out. Today enjoy a magical train journey from Kandy to Nanu Oya. (Please note delays and cancellations are a common occurrence on the railway, the Railway Authority only issue tickets 20 days in advance so availability cannot always be guaranteed). Continue to Nuwara Eliya for check-in. Evening meal and overnight at your hotel.
After breakfast you will visit a tea factory & plantation where one of the best teas in the world is produced. Learn about the process of manufacturing tea & if you're lucky you may be invited to taste a cup of pure Ceylon tea which begins its journey as raw green leaves in the hills and ends up as a final golden-brown graded product which we all know too well!
Leaving the tea plantations behind, you will travel south through Sri Lanka’s stunning hill country to Yala. En route visit Ella, blessed with some of the most beautiful views you will find in Sri Lanka. Visit Ella Gap, Ravana Ella Falls, and Little Adams Peak. Continue to your hotel in Yala for check-in. Evening meal and overnight at your hotel.
Breakfast at your hotel. This morning you will enjoy an early morning safari in Sri Lanka’s most famous national park - Yala National Park. View elephants, leopards, bears, crocodiles, wild boar & a large variety of resident and migrant birds amongst the grassland, shrub jungle and fresh water lagoons. The rest of the day is free to relax at leisure. Evening meal and overnight in Yala.
After breakfast check-out & proceed to the beach resort of Wadduwa. En route you will enjoy a city tour of Galle, the port where the Portuguese first landed in Sri Lanka & a former Dutch colony. Old Dutch churches and monuments, well preserved forts, ramparts houses & narrow alleys along with an imposing crested gateway dating back to 1669 are some highlights of the city. Continue to Wadduwa for check-in, evening meal and overnight.
- 1 night accommodation in Cinnamon Red Hotel, Colombo, with breakfast and evening meal
- 3 nights accommodation in Sigiriya Village, Sigiriya, with breakfast and evening meal
- 1 night accommodation in Ozo Hotel, Kandy, with breakfast and evening meal
- 1 night accommodation in Jetwing St. Andrews Hotel, Nuawar Eliya, with breakfast and evening meal
- 2 nights accommodation in Jetwing Yala Hotel, Yala, with breakfast and evening meal
- 2 nights 5* accommodation in The Blue Water Hotel, Wadduwa, with breakfast and evening meal
- Price based on 2 sharing including all airport taxes & charges
- Single room supplement from €499pp. If you are travelling alone and are willing to share a twin room with another group member of the same sex, we will do our best to accommodate this request although it cannot be guaranteed
- Non refundable / non transferable deposit of €350pp required at time of booking
- Balance due 10 weeks before departure (2% charge on balance payments made by credit card)
- Price includes 1 standard piece of checked-in luggage
- Optional insurance available from €45pp (terms & conditions apply)
- Irish Passport holders require a visa for this holiday. A cost applies and details will be sent after booking. Non-Irish passport holders please contact us for further information.
- City taxes may apply, payable locally at your hotel
- Flights, hotel, taxes, prices & itinerary subject to change
- Booking terms & conditions apply