Basque, Bilbao & La Rioja
Explore the culture & cuisine of the Basque Country!
Travel to the Basque Country - home to some of the world’s finest food, beaches & avantgarde architecture. Fascinating escorted tours & enjoy plenty of free time to relax & explore the area make this a thoroughly enjoyable holiday!
- Return flights with Aer Lingus from Dublin to Bilbao including taxes & charges
- Professional tour manager & executive coach transfers
- 7 nights 4* hotel accommodation with breakfast
- Walking tour of Bilbao
- Walking tour of River Nervión
- Walking tour of San Sebastian
- Rioja Winery Tour with wine-tasting
- Guided tour of Burgos & its cathedral
- Visit to Santo Domingo de la Calzada on the Pilgrim's Road of the Camino
- Optional 6k walk on the Camino
- Plenty of free time for sightseeing, shopping and relaxing
Arrive at Bilbao airport, transfer to the hotel.
Breakfast at your hotel. Guided walking tour of Bilbao.Walk along the historic Nervión River to visit the world famous Guggenheim Museum - hailed as the most important structure of its time when it opened in 1997, Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum Bilbao has changed the way people think about museums. Its collection spans from the mid-20th century to the present day, concentrating on postwar painting and sculpture in America and Europe. The collection includes key works by significant artists including Anselm Kiefer, Willem de Kooning, Robert Motherwell, Gilbert & George, and Richard Serra. Enjoy a free time in Bilbao to explore this exciting city of culture.
Breakfast at your hotel. Full day excursion to San Sebastian. Enjoy a guided walking tour of the old town & La Concha beach promenade - one of the finest city beaches in Europe. The Basque country is renowned for the quality of its food, with San Sebastian flying the flag for its haute cuisine. You’ll have free time for lunch where as well as superb restaurants, you’ll also have the option to visit the Pintxo bars. Pintxos (the basque word for tapas) are a cuisine in miniature found in bars all over the city.
Breakfast at your hotel. Full day excursion to La Rioja - reknown for the quality of its wine production - with wine tasting. Spend time in Haro, the wine capital of the region. Visit Santo Domingo on the Pilgrim Road. Be sure to ask the meaning of the town’s motto: Donde cantó la gallina después de asada- where the roast chicken still sang! Here you’ll have the option of doing a 6km stretch of the Pilgrim Road.
Breakfast at your hotel. Full day excursion to Guernica - the historic and symblic centre of the Basque country. The town known throughout the world due to the painting by Pablo Picasso that bears the same name. The painting shows the suffering and tragedy that Guernica endured on 26 April 1937 when German & Italian air forces bombed the town, destroying everything but a few buildings. Thankfully though, the two most important symbols of Guernica - the Biscayan Assembly & the Guernica Tree - both survived. Visit the intriguing San Juan de Gaztelugatxe whose origins are shrouded in mystery. Reputed to be a 9th or 10th century hermitage, it is connected to the mainland by a man-made bridge. Stop at the coastal town of Bermeo - one of the most important fishing villages in the Basque Country. The town has a long maritime tradition and, for centuries, the Bermeotarras were famous whalers. A visit to its beautiful old port is a must!
Breakfast at your hotel. Full day excursion to Burgos with a guided tour of this medieval city including a tour of its Gothic Cathedral - a UNESCO World Heritage site. Enjoy free time in the afternoon for personal sightseeing and shopping.
Breakfast at your hotel. Free day in Bilbao to relax & unwind or to see more of this fascinating city, your Tour Manager will help with various options for this day.
Breakfast & check out of your hotel. Transfer to Bilbao airport to return to Dublin.
- Price based on 2 sharing including all airport taxes & charges
- Single room supplement €279pp. If you are travelling alone and are willing to share a twin room with another group member of the same sex, we will do our best to accommodate this request although it cannot be guaranteed
- Price includes 1 standard piece of hand luggage. Checked-in luggage is available to purchase prior to travel - prices may vary.
- Non refundable / non transferable deposit of €250pp required at time of booking
- Balance due 10 weeks before departure (2% charge on balance payments made by credit card)
- Optional insurance available from €29pp (terms & conditions apply)
- City taxes may apply, payable locally at your hotel
- Flights, taxes, hotels, prices & itinerary subject to change
- Booking terms & conditions apply